Search

Chris 'n' Steffie

Gaming, adventuring, DIY

Category

Kitchen

Underfloor heating

Well, the pipes at least:

Advertisements

Floor insulation is down!

After the mix up with the insulation thickness (managed to get it swapped out, even after 4 months, very lucky!), we finally put it down.

The foam insulation is super easy to work with. Lightweight, easy to handle. We essentially made our own jigsaw.

The new water pipe complicated the design, but we got it fitted in the end. The joints all get taped with foil tape to maintain the barrier, and it keeps it locked in place a bit better.

The edges get filled with a dry mixture of sand and cement. It packs the sheets in tightly and leaves no gaps for the screed to sit on.

We have one of the above paint mixers, mostly for mixing paint. Sometimes polyfiller, etc… it slots into the drill, and does its thing. In the 30degree heat, mixing by hand wasn’t very appealing, so, we hooked in the paint mixer to mix our sand & cement mix – all 300kg of it. This is what happened to it:

Not good!

Hopefully this week, we’ll get the underfloor heating pipes, and the liquid screed done!

Skip and more DPM!

Usually, we would hire a grab truck to get rid of rubble waste, but we didn’t really have enough to warrant it (although, in hind-sight, our backs would hurt a lot less!), plus we had some other rubbish in the trailer waiting to go to the tip, so we had a skip delivered!

 

Then we got down to putting down our next layer of DPM, after giving the floor a final clean:

IMG_20180711_203538IMG_20180711_214709

Unfortunately, the oversight came in a little bit too high for our 100mm insulation, so we are going to swap it out for 75mm – hopefully that means that we can have the liquid screed be level with the rest of the house!

 

How are we getting by?

Our caravan was our stand in kitchen. Now it’s also our bathroom.

We do have water, just not enough to run any of the things inside the house. The onboard tank in the caravan is 40l, it takes about 16 minutes to fill up.

It doesn’t sound like a lot of water, but it’s enough for 2 showers, cooking, drinking, and washing up. There is even some to spare at the end of the day.

Lintels

Due to the age of our house, we don’t have lintels above our exterior windows and doors. We needed to get these done before we could have new windows installed.

We opted to get rid of the soldiers (upright brickwork) and have it match the rest of the house. Installing the lintels meant that we have a slightly larger opening than we did before, hence the expanding foam!

IMG_20180503_144504
You can see the height difference between where the soldiers are, and where the interior lintel has been placed. This is how much taller our opening now is.
IMG_20180503_144512
No, it’s not being held up with the planks!
IMG_20180503_144534
With the supports in place
IMG_20180504_123841
Supports removed, brickwork complete!

Kitchen flooring – concrete

Concrete had been poured! Next later is insulation.

Wacker Wacker

With the floor all at depth, it was time to compact it down, this will give the concrete a stable base to sit on.

insta

Using the compactor was easy enough – we had to rent the small one to get it round the corners.

2017_0426_065628_001
Before…
2017_0426_071304_084
…after

The self-leveling laser we purchased does a good well when attached to a stick to check depth. It’ll be even more useful when it’s time to cut channels into the walls!

Kitchen floor waste removal

We hired a grab truck to get rid of the kitchen flooring, once and for all!
The grab truck cost as much as 1 skip, but could fit all 18 cubic meters of our floor into it in one go!

insta
Before & after

Kitchen floor removal – day 2

chris digger

The first layer of concrete (the screed) was easy to remove. The layer underneath that… not so much. The rebar made it even worse. It took an huge effort on everyone’s part to remove:

steph demolition

We had the breaker going, grinders going, the excavator going. And endless, ENDLESS wheelbarrows full of whatever we dug up.

We started day 2 looking like this:

2017_0420_003156_001

Still aching from yesterday, but we pressed on! We finished the day looking like this:

2017_0420_065418_371

Big smiles on our faces, now that it is done. The above picture doesn’t really show just how much work went into this project. We removed about 18 cubic meters from the floor – that’s going 300mm (12″) deep. If you’re not sure how much material that is….

20180408_195805

…it’s about this much!

Enjoy the timelapse of day 2:

It was a lot of hard work, but hiring equipment is always fun. You get a sense of accomplishment of doing things yourself, we have a lot of new skills that we can take away from this project, and use in future work.

Again, we couldn’t have done this without our friends and family helping us out along the way, so, a big thank-you to all of them.

Now to fill it all back in!

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑