The next task was to tackle part of the extractor fan installation. It’s going to look something like this once complete:
It’s an island type, which means it hangs from the ceiling. Unfortunately, our entire kitchen all appliances arrive all at the same time. This is a problem, because we have to put the support structure in without really knowing exactly how or even where it attaches. We managed to find a copy of the installation manual online, but it’s not quite the same as being able to see it firsthand. Plus, it’s a bit of a guess where to even mount it in the first place – without the units in place, we are heavily relying on our measurements from the kitchen diagram being accurate. Although, that being said, we are at the mercy of our joists – they ultimately decide where the ducting will go.
We decided to hire the core drill bit for this task. We already have a drill that will handle it, and it should give a much cleaner hole than we could make with a hammer and chisel. Here’s the hole setup, a 150mm core drill:
Slow and steady was the pace for the hole, after drilling a pilot hole for the auger, the core drill eventually pushed through the other side (after drilling through the interior and exterior brickwork):
We were worried about blowout to begin with, but it turns out that we didn’t need to. We did have to remove a drainpipe, but it was a simple cut and join back together job.
Externally, we had to get a vent cover without draught covers:
This was because a waste pipe from the bathroom is almost touching the vent as it is. We are going to install an internal draught flap, hopefully this will still prevent cool air from the outside blowing in.
Attached to the vent cover is a piece of pipe to clear the exterior wall, cavity, and interior wall. In the future, the draught flap and pipework will be added – this will be completed from the room above. Due to the extractor and pipework not arriving until the rest of the kitchen, there is nothing more we can do to it at this time – but we must have the ceiling installed and plastered before everything arrives, as it will be impossible to plaster around it.
The support structure was also added to the joists, it is oversized to compensate for any movement that we might need to make to ensure that it lines up with the hob when it’s time for installation. More can be added from above if needed.